About Me

My photo
Redbanks, South Australia, Australia
Contact me if you'd like to know more about this writing group. My email address is jeebers@aussiebb.com.au

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds
Ananka knows how to enjoy life - catch and eat birdies!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Are all writers procrastinators?

A provocative question perhaps, but I wonder whether it's true. Maybe it's just me. I have called myself the queen of procrastination in the past, only to have others try to claim the title.

So that's why I ask the question. Writers are creative people, and if you have a creative mind, there are probably a million things in there, vying for the top spot. I've written about creativity and procrastination and a dead mouse and still hold the views I expressed there.

Today there's another mouse in the mousetrap in the kitchen and I know I have to do something about it. I'll do it later. I've got some creative writing to do.

Thinking about the question again, I guess it may be that the uber successful ones aren't procrastinators. The successful ones are busy with their writing careers, ie they're writing, not putting off writing. That may be the difference between success and starvation. You get in there and work.

The word work though sounds so dry and dull. I'm a creative person, I don't do work, I commune with my muse and float up high in the sky with clouds and birds, thinking lofty thoughts and sometimes writing them down.

I don't actually do that, I'm little more grounded and sensible about my creative writing than that. Sometimes I even get my act together enough to send stuff off to publishers. I have a fine collection of rejection slips.

I've had my writing for children rejected by the very best of the childrens publishers in Australia. I haven't sent anything for children off for quite some time though. Maybe a year or more? Maybe I should look into that, and send something off. I'll think about it later. I've got other things to do today.

Get my hair cut, have a drink with a new writing friend, get rid of that dead mouse!

No comments:

Waiting for night to come

Waiting for night to come
I love sunsets