About Me

My photo
Redbanks, South Australia, Australia
Contact me if you'd like to know more about this writing group. My email address is jeebers@aussiebb.com.au

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds
Ananka knows how to enjoy life - catch and eat birdies!

Monday, January 26, 2009

Who's too fat now?

When I was a teenager, my big brother, in the loving way that big brothers have, called me fatso. He may have been joking about it, he may have just been in a bad mood, he might have been having trouble dealing with his little sister starting to look womanly. I don't know, and it's too late now to ask him.

But because Jeff, who I adored and looked up to in so many ways, called me fatso, I thought of myself as fat. It didn't help that my best friend was slim with legs that went all the way up to there, while I was short and not super slim. I was fat, end of story.

But it wasn't the end of the story, it was just the early to middle part of the story. I learnt about healthy eating, and exercise. I learnt about loving myself and caring for myself. I found ways to make myself proud of myself that had nothing to do with body shape. I discovered my inner creativity and I learnt that I could write creatively, while so many people can barely write a shopping list.

I learnt to like myself, to love myself, and I learnt to listen to my body. I started listening if my body said I wasn't hungry. I'd eat a much smaller meal then. And because I was listening to my body, I was more likely to choose food that my body needed, not food my mind wanted. I discovered that I too could be slim, and not be saddled with the fatso label all of my life.

I have to add here that it wasn't others calling me fatso, it was that nasty person that lives in my head and hisses at me when I'm feeling low. Now though, I reached my ideal weight, I feel terrific, and I just laugh at that nasty hisser.

I'm the weight I was always meant to be and I feel great! Click and you can feel great too!

No comments:

Waiting for night to come

Waiting for night to come
I love sunsets