About Me

My photo
Redbanks, South Australia, Australia
Contact me if you'd like to know more about this writing group. My email address is jeebers@aussiebb.com.au

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds
Ananka knows how to enjoy life - catch and eat birdies!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Oh Dear, Not Another Apology!

I have been so remiss with my blogs lately, it's getting more and more embarrassing every day.
Too many blogs and other time wasters, that's been my only (poor) excuse up until now.

But now I have an excuse which is also an answer to the problem at the same time. Confused? Well stick with me and I'll explain.

About three weeks ago I began to feel fatigued and my handwriting became even worse than usual. I then developed weakness on my right-hand side, both leg/feet and arm/hand. I realised there was a problem when I went to a wedding and my 70+ year old mother was walking much faster than me.

That was on a Saturday and I went and saw my doctor about the problem. She sent me to get a CT scan and have some blood taken for testing. The blood test results were all fine, but the CT scan had some things not quite normal, so she advised I get an ultrasound of my carotid artery and also that I should see a neurologist.

I couldn't get in to have either of these things done straight away, so I settled down to wait. I couldn't get in to see a neurologist for over three weeks. This was too slow, but fortunately, after many phone calls by my husband and my doctors office, I had an appointment to see another neurologist. In the meantime I'd had a visit from an occupational therapist who was very helpful - she showed me ways to get things done as much as I was able (best thing? she told me how to put on my bra! I felt much better once I could be back in control, even if just in control of my breasts!)

Anyway, I got in to see a neurologist. He wouldn't say much about what he thought was wrong, but sent me off for another test - an MRI scan. This took another week to have the scan then get in to see the neurologist again. The MRI scan was an interesting experience, and I thank all of my friends who told me what to expect.

So, hubby and I picked up the scans of my brain and my spinal cord, and gave them to my neuro to look at. The diagnosis? Well it was something I hadn't considered at all. The neurologist told me I had MS, Multiple Sclerosis. He was very reassuring and told me there were treatments available for MS, and also there was a lot of research being done on MS, and I could expect new treatments in the next few years.

He then explained a lot to my husband (Graham) and me about my new disease and eased our minds a little. He advised me to make an appointment with the Multiple Sclerosis Society and gave me a prescription for the medicine I would have to inject myself with once a week. This happened last Friday and tomorrow my mother is taking me to the MS Society and Graham is picking up the medicine he ordered at the pharmacy Friday afternoon after our visit.

I'm still not sure I will be able to inject myself, but I guess I'll have to. Graham has said he'll do it for me, but he said I'll be able to do it.

So that's one reason my blogs have gone quiet, apart from just not having time because I was busy doing fifty million other things. Now though, lots of those other things don't seem to matter. Having a voice, connecting with others seems to be one of the most important thing I can do. I can't deal with this disease on my own, and I have already had fantastic support from my family and friends.

One of the most important supports I've had through this though has been my own writing. I've kept friends up to date through my words on Facebook, and I've written three poems about it all so far. My writing has kept me connected with people and it's enabled me to deal with it all so that I don't feel overwhelmed.

I can't cure Multiple Sclerosis through creative writing, but I can keep depression at bay, and I can connect with other people. The more friends I take with me on this journey, the better it will be! I hope you will join me.

7 comments:

Alice Suttie said...

That's a brilliant start, Carolyn. love, Alice

Carolyn Cordon said...

Thank you Alice. I'm facing this as a challenge, and I love challenges - they help me to learn, to grow.

Mari L. McCarthy said...

Carolyn, I'm in and with you all the way! MS was one of the best things that ever happened to me. It was my Life Wake Up Call. It lead me to journal writing and now my Journal Therapist and I are working to cure myself of all my diseases. Yes...Challenges are Opportunities Requesting Action. WriteON!

Carolyn Cordon said...

Thanks Mari! I have found comfort and inner strength through writing about my new journey with ms. If i could get over my procrastination and get more organised, I would/will be more focussed with my writing. I feel that writing in my diary every day would be a useful thing, but I just don't do it. Maybe today is the day to start!

Anonymous said...

You have a great attitude. I have a friend same age as me with MS (though she lives along way from me now) but I still don't know much about it - I know it manifests in different ways with different people. Have you got the hang of self injecting yet? Ananka is gorgeous - wish my labradoodles were so trim, taut and terrific. Tell her 'no eating birdies'.

Anonymous said...

Found your blog, I am getting better at this; you are already a very talented writer and I'm sure this new challenge will only improve this. I know people who have it for years and years let's hope that is for you too, cheers Dorothy.

Carolyn Cordon said...

Thanks for your thoughts Gabrielle and Dorothy. I gave myself my injection this afternoon and said ouch, but it wasn't that bad at all. I won't be upset when the experts come up with a tablet instead though! Cheers and best wishes to you.

Waiting for night to come

Waiting for night to come
I love sunsets