About Me

My photo
Redbanks, South Australia, Australia
Contact me if you'd like to know more about this writing group. My email address is jeebers@aussiebb.com.au

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds
Ananka knows how to enjoy life - catch and eat birdies!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I love Cool Weather

In my former life (everything before this time last year), I liked warm weather and even hot weather didn't bother me that much. Then MS - Multiple Sclerosis - came along a year ago.

Now, if the weather gets too hot, or my core body temperature gets too high, my body protests - my muscles don't work at all well and my balance goes crazy. The combination is only funny if you're not me, and you're an unkind person.

I try to keep cool, especially after my last venture out on a warm day, a week ago. That day was supposed to end up with a fun meeting with my Thursday night writing group, who I love. Instead, it ended up with me staying home because I didn't feel up to driving anywhere, and forgetting to let relevant people know I wasn't going to go.

That's all OK now, I apologised and I hope I'm forgiven. Today is another Thursday, and the meeting tonight looks like it's going to be truly special. We have a guest coming to tell us about Japanese Poetry and I'm so keen to hear more, and also to have the guest come along - Nigel Ford is his name - he's a great guy and a fine poet.

Anyway, the reason why I'm sure I'll be fine to get to the meeting tonight is because the weather is being kinder to my body and me. The maximum temperature for the past few days, and today is mid twenties, and that is much easier on my body.
Because it's cooler, my Wii Fit exercise program is going better, and my mobility is improving.

MS is definitely one of those 'Use it or Lose it' things - the more I do, within reason, the more I can do. As long as I listen to my body, this works well. Last week, when it didn't go so well, I hadn't been listening to my body.

I know I should keep cool, so as long as I do that, have water to drink as much as I can, life is good. It isn't just having MS that can give a person issues with the weather. We will all get on better by paying attention to what our own bodies are actually telling us.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Listening to our bodies is the only way! Mine spoke a lot of sense yesterday, asking me for lots of water. But then cheekily whispered last night that a few glasses of wine could be in order. I'm glad he hasn't thrown out the fun as well!

Carolyn Cordon said...

Thanks for your comment Ian. I've given up alcohol completely - the way I spill drinks even before I've had a drink, it's too expensive. Add to that balance issues and mobility issues too, it's all too hard.
I can have a great time still, sober, and no hangover in the morning. If I'm staggering, MS is the reason, not grog!

Waiting for night to come

Waiting for night to come
I love sunsets