About Me

My photo
Redbanks, South Australia, Australia
Contact me if you'd like to know more about this writing group. My email address is jeebers@aussiebb.com.au

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds
Ananka knows how to enjoy life - catch and eat birdies!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Practicing Mindfulness

Mindfulness is the practice of being in the present rather than thinking about the past or the future. People who practice mindfulness tend to be calm people who live with minimal stress.

This is the way I try to live my life. I try not to worry about things, and I try not to go over and over the things that go wrong in my life. Being mindful helps me to stay open to all of the good things in my life.

The sun is shining, or the stars are, the winds, the rain, the many creatures living near me - all of these are things that are good in my life. I have issues, the same as everyone else does, but I don't allow these issues and bad thoughts to damage my life.

While I am alive and able to see the good things, I can remain happy. Being happy brings actual physical benefits. Happiness can help you to live longer. There was a study of nuns in America which showed the happier nuns lived longer and more joyful lives.

I'm aiming at living to be as close to 100 as I can, and I want to remain as well as I can, and happy too. I'm not halfway there yet in time, but I'm certainly there in terms of happiness!

One thing I love to do is to sit outside and connect with Nature. I watch the insects and birds, I watch the clouds and the trees and I just sit and watch. I concentrate on my slow, slow breathing, innnnnnnnnnnnnn, outtttttttttt, innnnnnnnnnnnnnn, outtttttttttt. My mind slows with my breathing and worries don't invade my peaceful place. Nature is my guide and my god. When I sit with Nature, everyday worries disappear for me. This is my way of mindful meditation.

This is what works for me to stay as happy and healthy as I can. I hope everyone else can live a happy and healthy life too!

No comments:

Waiting for night to come

Waiting for night to come
I love sunsets