About Me

My photo
Redbanks, South Australia, Australia
Contact me if you'd like to know more about this writing group. My email address is jeebers@aussiebb.com.au

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds
Ananka knows how to enjoy life - catch and eat birdies!

Monday, February 2, 2009

Get obsessed and stay obsessed

I remember reading a John Irving book, many, many moons ago - it may have been The Hotel New Hampshire. There were many stand out characters in that book, if that's which of his books it was.

The character that has had the most impact on me was not one of the major characters, but an important character never the less.

That character was Coach Bob. As I said, I'm not certain which book it actually was, but one thing stuck in my mind then, and is stuck in my mind still. The line of Coach Bob's that is still sitting there in my mind is what he used to say to the main character.

"You've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed!"

That's how I feel about my writing now. I'm obsessed about writing (my own and the work of others) and I'm staying obsessed. I will always be a poet, writer, and blogger and I will always help others with their own writing. It's my obsession.

I have run poetry competitions for the past five years, and I can't see anything that would stop me from running one poetry competition a year for many more years to come. Even if the money dried up, I would still continue in some way, because I am obsessed.

I hope you are able to spend some time in your life doing something you are obsessed about, whether it's looking after your kids, fixing up old cars or water colour painting, we all should keep a space in our life for an obsession.

I don't mean crazy mad stalking people or anything like that, but just something you care passionately about. It might be a football team, a person, but we all need something that brings meaning to our lives.

Take a look at the photo at the bottom of this page, that's one obsessed creature!

No comments:

Waiting for night to come

Waiting for night to come
I love sunsets