About Me

My photo
Redbanks, South Australia, Australia
Contact me if you'd like to know more about this writing group. My email address is jeebers@aussiebb.com.au

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds

Ananka - one of our Pharaoh Hounds
Ananka knows how to enjoy life - catch and eat birdies!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Innate good nature of humans

Reading the stories about the wonderful things people are doing for those hit hard by the bushfires in Victoria strengthens my feeling about most normal human beings being innately good.

Of course, there are sick people who do evil things, as appears to have happened recently. Only a truly sick person would light a fire on a day like that day when the bushfires started. I don't think there's any other way to think of those who commit crimes like this, apart from them being sick. They are lacking something basic in their nature, that doesn't make them see the madness of their actions.

I know a lot of people are talking about committing terrible acts of violence against these arsonists, if they are caught, but I can't see what good that would do. Evil act punished by another evil act, seems like, at best hypocrisy. At worst, well, more of the same is the best interpretation you could put on it, as far as I can see. I don't think that is the way for the bushfire victims to obtain 'closure'.

I know lots of others don't see these sorts of things the way I do. Many take an Old Testament 'Eye for an eye' view, but I don't see anything good at all in the Old Testament. It's made up of blokes doing bad things to each other and God carrying on like a mad thing.

I prefer Jesus, turning the other cheek, and other milder ways of dealing with unpleasantness. Is my way the right way? I have no idea, but I know that I feel like I am living on a higher level of spirituality that a lot of fire and brimstone Christians.

I am committed to trying to always be good, and do the right thing. I am an unbeliever though in Christianity, who believes in the wisdom of Mother Nature and the sanctity of the Earth. I firmly feel that, no matter what we do, the Earth will survive, in some way. I don't think mankind will last anywhere near as long as the Earth will, and I'm wondering how long the cockroaches will survive when most of the Earth is covered with water, it that's the way things might go.

Time will tell, and I know I won't be there when it all ends.

No comments:

Waiting for night to come

Waiting for night to come
I love sunsets